Design-focused with unrivalled views over Lake Wakatipu
Just a short seven minute drive from New Zealand’s adventure capital, Matakauri’s perennial luxury lodge is the jewel of Queenstown. Famed for its on point interiors — courtesy of acclaimed designer Virginia Fisher — this boutique gem is as striking as the phenomenal alpine and lakeside views that surround. Homely yet elaborate (the Picasso paintings sure do take it up a notch) staying at Matakauri feels rather like visiting the home of a well-heeled friend. But you’d be equally as comfortable donning evening dress-up as you would relaxing in your ski gear sipping on a well-deserved whiskey sour.
Food and service is out-of-this world; nothing is too much trouble. The attentive staff will tend to your every whim. From local wine tastings at the nearby Gibbston Valley and rejuvenating spa sessions, to adrenaline-fuelled hikes and heli-skiing. Every desire is well and truly catered for, including dinner — you’ll get to sample an inventive menu of locally-sourced, seasonal creations, with world-class wines, inspired by the landscapes and environs of Central Otago.
There are 11 rooms available, all a minute’s walk from the main lodge, with their own private outdoor area, and separate lounge and bedroom. Our highlight? The Deluxe Suite’s deep bathtub, perfectly placed against that glorious glass wall. Those views will make your jaw plummet.
A short seven-minute drive north of Queenstown, Matakauri Lodge sits just above the rippling waters of Lake Wakatipu. Every room of the lodge makes the most of the view, across the lake and to the snowy mountain ranges of The Remarkables, and Cecil and Walter Peaks. With nothing else in the area, this is an ultra-exclusive spot.
- There are 11 rooms to choose from (10 of which are romantic suites that sleep two), and a lodge room
- For groups the beautifully styled owner’s cottage sleeps 8
Breakfast and pre-dinner drinks with hors d’oeuvres plus a free minibar (excludes spirits and wines)
- A seven minute drive to Queenstown, and only 30 minutes to Coronet Peak
- Unwind in the forestside spa offering a range of blissful treatments
- There are plenty of facilities on-site, including a gym, hot tub, sauna and heated infinity pool
- Relax in your oversized bathtub paired with sweeping alpine views
- Take a scenic flight out to the Fiordland from the high-country station nestled behind Matakauri Lodge or spend the day heli-skiing the dramatic Southern Alps